Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our dog was attacked by another dog and I can tell she is in…

Customer Question
Second opinion] our dog...

Second opinion] our dog was attacked by another dog and I can tell she is in pain. can I give her a half of a baby asprin?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Clooy and about 8yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Clooy?

About 8 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Clooy?

She has a gash (not deep) on her back

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Clooy is uncomfortable.

1. However as far as pain relief goes you do have one option, this being aspirin. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds. Many people use plain aspirin in the dog without a problem because it will normally only be used for a few days so any side effects would be very unlikely. But avoid enteric-coated aspirin as the coating can decrease the absorption of aspirin from the intestines in dogs.

2. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications: LINK

3. I see the gash on Cloos's back is not deep in this case you may be able to handle it by washing the area with warm salt water, gently dabbing it dry with some clean kitchen paper and then applying the likes of Neosporin, do this twice a day for a week. In most cases this will ensure an uneventful and quick healing process.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Clooy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Clooy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning pain relief ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

THANKS ANYWAY CLOIE PASSED AWAY LAST NIGHT

So sorry to hear your news, I thought she just had a minor gash, can I ask what happened?

Again sorry for your loss ...

Dr Scott

SHE MUST HAVE HAD INTERNAL INJURYS

I guess so, you were not to know ...

THANK YOU AND PLEASE DISCONTINUE THE SERVICE

I will contact our customer care team on your behalf.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian