Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My schnauzer got some mouse poison in her mouth I got it…

Customer Question
My schnauzer got some...

My schnauzer got some mouse poison in her mouth I got it away from her but she has some green in her mouth I washed out her mouth and she acts fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what your schnauzer ate?

She bit into a green cube but I got it and picked up the crumbs and threw it away.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your schnauzer?

She is 9 and healthy

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Can you type for me the active ingredients....

What we need to do depends on the ingredients.....

I don't know the ingredients it was old and the box long since thrown away.

Do you know the brand?

Also how much do you think she consumed?

I don't think she ingested very much at all it had been in her mouth.
She acts fine.

How she acts now does not unfortunately mean anything.....

the way most of this poison works is by interfering with vitamin K in the body thereby causing the body to not be able to clot and bleed to death....

I would strongly recommend that you take your dog to your vet first thing tomorrow if you cannot go to the ER tonight and at the very least put your dog on vitamin k for 1 month....

according to her weight and that of a mouse I think she will be fine. I will watch her and take her to my vet tomorrow.
Thanks

if you can locate the brand so your vet will know that would be very helpful to your vet and help with knowing how long to supplement vitamin K....

Actually you cannot compare the toxicity by the differences in mouse weight and her weight....

we have to use much higher doses of drugs in mice due to their metabolism....

Can I answer any other questions for you or help you in any way tonight?

Please let me know if you need additional help as I would be happy to assist you if needed. Thank you, DRB

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian