Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dachsunds belly is very swollen and his back legs are…

Customer Question
My dachsunds belly is...

My dachsunds belly is very swollen and his back legs are also what should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Rusty and he is 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rusty?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Rusty. You've described an effusive (full of free fluid) abdomen and a periperal and dependent edema - fluid under the skin. This often arises secondary to right-sided heart failure or a lack of the small protein albumin in the bloodstream. Albumin is needed to keep fluid inside vessels and out of cavities such as Rusty's abdomen. Rusty's vet will want to perform a thorough phsyical exam paying particular attention to Rusty's heart and lungs and by performing diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. It may be of value to also needle aspirate a small amount of the abdominal fluid and examine it for its physical qualities and cellularity. In that manner, the vet will be given direction for additional diagnostics if need be. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?