Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Dachshund who is 1 years old and weighs 14-15 pounds ate…

Customer Question
My Dachshund who is...

My Dachshund who is 1 years old and weighs 14-15 pounds ate a RX protein bar. It contains Dates, Egg Whites, Almonds, Cashews, Cacao, Natural coconut flavor. sea salt, and Coconut

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your Dachshund will be able to digest that. What is the Dachshund's name?

Marcelo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Marcelo?

NO Ok

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please don't give this a second thought, Marcelo is at no risk in terms of toxicity, the only problem ingredient would be the cacao but the amount involved will be way below any toxic level for your weight of dog. All the other ingredients are non-toxic to dogs. That said in this sort of situation it is always possible that a dog will experience a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea purely because of the sudden ingestion of unaccustomed rich " human " food. However, if this should occur it is not likely to be much of a problem and should quickly pass on its own.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Marcelo's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...