Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She broke out in hives this morning, after Benadryl and a…

Customer Question
Hi she broke out...

Hi she broke out in hives this morning, after Benadryl and a bath she was doing much better. But now they are back, I gave her more Benadryl , I am looking to see when I should be worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Hives

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Itchy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Only the hives on her legs chest and head

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She does take apoquil for allergies

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi!

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

The trouble with Benadryl and the other amti-histamines is that they do NOT work once the reaction has started

They are designed to prevent degranulation

Is itchy having trouble breathing? Vomiting?

Paul

No trouble breathing, she actually acting completely normal other that the hives I can see.

Okay

This is NOT an emergency

BUT you should watch closely for those signs

Do you happen to have any prednisone at home (steroid)?

Paul

I do not have any prednisone, can that be called into a pharmacy?

Okay

It can but not by me :( I am sorry

You will likely have to go to your vet tomorrow

They will give a steroid injection and then a few days worth of the prednisons (ask for extra supply just in case)

Make sense?

Paul

it does, thank you. So as long as breathing is ok and no vomiting she should be ok!
How often can I give her the Benadryl?

Benadryl can be given three times a day

Now I say this jokingly...it wont help but you can try

Please update me in 2 hours time UNLESS other signs develop

And please dont forget to rate me- That is how this old doc gets paid :)

Paul

Ok thank you for your help.

How is our patient doing?

Paul

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DocPaul

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

You have not rated me for the question

I dont get paid until you rate me

Thank you, Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian