Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog just ate a chocolate coconut rx bar but only half.

Customer Question
Hi my dog just...

Hi my dog just ate a chocolate coconut rx bar but only half

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Marcelo

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How many ounces was the bar?

2- How much does your dog weigh?

3- Type of chocolate (dark, milk, etc.)?

4- How long has it been since he ate it?

5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Ok
1- How many ounces was the bar? 2- How much does your dog weigh? 3- Type of chocolate (dark, milk, etc.)? 4- How long has it been since he ate it? 5- Any pre existing medical conditions?
The bar is 1.83 ounces but he only had about half. He ways 14-15 pounds. It contains cacao, natural chocolate, and cocoa. He ate It around 30 mins ago. And he has no pre existing medical conditions

Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

To add in the bar includes- Dates, Egg Whites, Almonds,Cashews, Cacao, Coconut, Sea Salt, and natural coconut. No actual chocolate type

Friend, chocolate toxicity and symptoms are very dependent on the amount consumed, weight of the dog and type of chocolate. In this case, it will not be possible to calculate the toxic dose as the bar does not list the exact amount. But, in my experience not likely for 1/2 bar of a 1.83 ounce bar to be life threatening to a 15 lbs dog. However, to be on the safe side I would try to get him to vomit with hydrogen peroxide 3%. This is what you can do:

1- To induce vomiting give him 1/2 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% orally.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit after the 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit, observe him for the next 24 hours. If he becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have him checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours) unlikely for any symptoms to develop.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian