Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is a cavalier spaniel pug mix dog with a bad cough.

Customer Question
My dog is a...

My dog is a cavalier spaniel pug mix dog with a bad cough

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Thankyou chloe is 12 I am poor cant afford a lot on vet bills

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?

She pants a lot but she is very active and runs alot

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Chloe. By the principle of Occam's Razor any coughing CKCS of her age is suffering from congestive heart failure secondary to myxomatous valve disease ("leaky heart valves") unless proven otherwise. I understand your financial constraints, however. Let her vet know of these constraints. If a heart murmur can be auscultated (heard) by the vet, treatment can consist of an inexpensive diuretic such as furosemide only. That's not the very best therapy for these dogs but may well suffice to keep Chloe happy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

is the test to find the diagnosis very costly?thankyou so much

Confirmation of congestive heart failure entails auscultation and X-rays of Chloe's chest. Prior to medications being prescribed, I would expect her vet to want to perform diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests as well. I can't know what you'd be charged but I would imagine it would be less than $700. Always ask for a written estimate prior to anything being done! Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian