Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My almost 10 year old Lab has had lumps on him for about 2…

Customer Question
My almost 10 year...

My almost 10 year old Lab has had lumps on him for about 2 years, in different places, they move around when you touch them. Today I saw him what I though was itching his ear and come to find out he has a new lump on the crest of his head, not big, about the size of a peanut. It moves around also but seems to be firmer than the other ones. He has has one on the left side of his face for about two years which has not caused any issues. Maybe I'm more concerned because it is on the apex right behind his skull bone

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He's very healthy, gets a walk and play time every day

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about your guy. The pure location of this new lump on the crest of his head isn't necessarily a location where that makes it "bad". It is good that it is in the skin and mobile when you move the skin. It being more firm than the other ones could me that it is a different origin. What is something very easy to do and good at figuring things out is to have your vet do an exam on it and do an aspirate of it. Basically this is using a clean, new needle the same size as that used for vaccines and to place it into the lump to see what material or cells come out of it. It is very easy to do and pretty painless. I would be suspicious that the new lump may be a cyst that is a little more firm when compared to the others that could be lipomas. Both of these are pretty benign issues.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!