Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She ate chocolate chip cookie dough the whole 1lb I think…

Customer Question
She ate chocolate chip...

She ate chocolate chip cookie dough the whole 1lb I think she found it while we were sleep. She thru up used the bathroom in the house.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Sasha

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Sasha?

31/2 I have her in the crate she is a Yorker terrier. Weigh about 18lbs

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

Certainly I'm not surprised to hear that there's some digestive upset after eating a pound of cookie dough. The bigger concerns come from the dehydration that may result from all of the vomiting and possibly diarrhea, AND from the possibility of chocolate toxicity, as dogs have difficulty with handling chocolate.

I suspect that a veterinary examination may be needed today, to assess Sasha's level of dehydration and provide fluid therapy if needed, along with other supportive care such as anti nausea medicines.

If veterinary care is not available, then you could try a dose of pepto-bismol liquid at home (one half teaspoon), repeated every 12 hours. This is a treatment for mild digestive irritation and it may help Sasha feel a little better.

If the pepto does not help, or if Sasha vomits it back up, then you'll need to find an emergency vet that is available today.

If the pepto helps, then in 3-4 hours you could start to provide fluids orally such as chicken broth or pedialyte. Then, a few hours later, bland food such as white rice.