Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She licked some ibuprofen gel off of my mans legs yesterday…

Customer Question
She licked some ibuprofen...

She licked some ibuprofen gel off of my mans legs yesterday morning, I didn’t find out till last night. Last night she was unwell, trembling and tired and wouldn’t eat. This morning she seems fine, she is eating, drinking and urinating, she just looks a bit sad

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Fudge, she is 10.5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Fudge

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

Ibuprofen can cause a few possible problems for Fudge. Most likely, she had some digestive irritation from either the Ibuprofen itself, or the gel that the Ibuprofen is dissolved in that allows it to be absorbed through a person's skin.

Ibuprofen can cause kidney damage in larger amounts but it would be very unlikely for that amount to be ingested from licking gel off of the skin after application.

It's great to hear that Fudge is back to eating and drinking today. This suggests to me, that the worst is over, but certainly it would not be a bad idea to have her examined by your veterinarian first thing Monday morning, possibly to check some minor bloodwork to see that the kidney levels are hopefully all normal.

Ok, thanks, ***** ***** anything I should be looking out for in her behaviour? She just seems a bit sorry for herself this morning

Well, I'd want to watch for vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, black or tarry stools, or loss of appetite. Any of these appearing, would make me more concerned.

She didn't want to eat last night but has eaten quite a lot of turkey this morning

That's good - hopefully the worst has passed. Close monitoring is a good idea today.

Is there anything I should give her to eat or drink to help ?

Bland foods - white rice, boiled chicken in small amounts, is the usual suggestion after digestive upset occurs.

Ok thanks

You're very welcome!