Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 100 lb Alaskan malamute/Siberian mix ate a pizza that had…

Customer Question
My 100 lb Alaskan...

My 100 lb Alaskan malamute/Siberian mix ate a pizza that had some onion on it, not much, maybe a half dozen very thin single rings on it, should I be concerned.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Alaskan Malamute will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Alaskan Malamute?

No just that, took it while I was getting ready for bed

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

If he only had a small amount (usually toxicity for a dog this size would be closer to half an onion), then the risk of serious harm (anemia from the toxin damaging red blood cells) is low. If anything we may just see GI upset (vomiting/diarrhea). Therefore to offset that we can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And usually that is all we need to do. Of course, just keep an eye that his gums stay pink and he has no lethargy/weakness over the next week (signs we see with severe doses but again unlikely an issue here).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hi Michael,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.