Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My sweet girl has been drooling and is acting very

Customer Question
My sweet girl has...

My sweet girl has been drooling and is acting very lathargic. Won't eat or drink anything but is not throwing up. We took her to emergency today and they ran bloodwork and urinalysis which came back normal. She hasn't moved since she got home. What else could it be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

It started yesterday, maybe even a little Thursday but she was still eating then. They also have her fluids, but not sure how long that will hold her over

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She is a boxer, almost 10 years old. Only ever foamed/drooled when she had an allergic reaction and was resolved with Benadryl. Tried that but it's not that either.
12/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What treatments did the ER vet start? Just fluids?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Thank you for your help.The ER vet did a full lab work-up, physical exam, and ultrasound guided cystocentesis for urinalysis. All of that come back normal. They only gave her fluids.Her gums and pink and moist. She tenses up her tummy but doesn't whimper.I don't think she could have gotten into anything. Usually she's inside with us. No diarrhea, but she can't get up now, so she has peed the bed she's in and pooped right next to it yesterday.
She got up to go potty outside finally, but almost fell over walking into the yard. Made it there with assistance from my husband and I. Tried going poop but fell onto her back while trying. Got up but then fell over again. Carried her back to her bed and is resting now.

Hello again,

Now I am glad to hear that her test results came back normal as that dose let us exclude fatal organ failures or possible urinary disease. Still if she is drooling and anorexic, I suspect she has nausea even without vomiting. Some dogs will do this (being too smart for their own good), instead of risking eating and vomiting. And if she has some belly tenderness, I'd question whether she might have a brewing pancreatitis. Foreign bodies, severe gastroenteritis, and possibly stomach ulcers could manifest this way but are less likely if the vet's exam was thorough. (Though for pancreatitis it only tends to be caught if they do a special blood test called a canine pancreatic lipase, so double check whether that was done).

Now I am concerned that she is so weak and collapsing. While that can be seen with heart issues, brain lesions and spinal disease; given her anorexia initially I'd suspect she may just have a low blood sugar and weakness from depriving herself of nutrients. Of course, if she has pancreatitis, this is reported to be painful in people and can make dogs less then keen to move. Therefore, if her vet didn't treat for nausea, it would be advisable to do so now. If you ring them, they should be able to dispense a strong anti-nausea option (ie Zofran, Cerenia, Metoclopramide). At the same time, she could be started on an appetite stimulant to give her a push to eat. And if they feel she could have pancreatitis, gut safe pain relief would be an option as well. Any delay and you can at least try treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)] Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, you can consider tempting to eat. Offer favorites or you can even try her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). If she cannot be tempted and since she isn't vomiting, we can offer or syringe feed watered down canned puppy food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise and may give her back her strength.

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. The vet has ruled out a number of serious ones but if she is this weak and not eating properly, we do need to address those symptoms to get her eating and help get her back to feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian