Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What is the risk giving 12.5mg of Rimadyl in the Morning and…

What is the risk giving...
What is the risk giving 12.5mg of Rimadyl in the Morning and 1-half tablet Temaril-P tablet (not sure of mg), at night, to a 10-lb Yorkie by accident. Vet originally said to discontinue Temaril-P 1-day before giving Rimadyl. Rimadyl script is for 6-days.
12/10/2017
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. The risk is it can cause damage to the liver, kidneys and GI tract mixing those two medications together. They are highly not compatible with one another. If you have already given both, I would recommend starting Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours and getting your Yorkie to a vet for some blood work. Let me know if you have any other questions.

What will the pepcid do?

The Pepcid will help to decrease the stomach acid. Sometimes mixing those two medications can cause stomach ulcers and the Pepcid can counteract that.

Is this an emergency situation? Can we start giving him the pepcid first thing in the Morning and call our regular Vet? There were 12 hours between the Rimadyl and giving the accidental dose of Tamaril-P.

It is not an emergency situation, as long as he is acting fine, you can start the Pepcid first thing in the morning.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you very much for your help. You are getting a 5-Star rating.

Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate that. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Katherine Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian