Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She just swallowed a used dryer sheet whole. She is not

Customer Question
She just swallowed a...

She just swallowed a used dryer sheet whole. She is not choking or puking. She is eating a lot of grass.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 3 years old. Weighs 13 lbs and is carin terrier mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?

No, just that

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. Can you give me the brand name of the sheet, Bounce perhaps?

It is from Walmart - Great Value- Fresh Air Clean Dryer Sheets - Bold Clean Scent

Got it, thanks ... working on your answer now

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Good, this was a used sheet that Daisy swallowed as any toxins that may have been in it would have been largely left behind in the dryer, the heat releases them you see. In my experience, most dogs will get away with this sort of incident with only minor symptoms but there is a risk of a gastrointestinal upset as the toxins on these sheets can be corrosive on the stomach lining sometimes, and with smaller dogs there is a small risk of intestinal tract obstruction.

2. While things may well be OK if you do nothing, given the above and the small size of your dog one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation as a precaution is to make your dog sick immediately and try to recover the sheet that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then this may be possible. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Daisy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Daisy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the dryer sheet episode ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hi, Daisy is doing just fine. I gave her 5cc's of Peroxide last night and after 20 minutes she had not yet vomited. I then did another 5cc's and she spit up just a little bit of flem. At 3:45 she had to go outside so I took her out and she went number 2. Then at 8:00 a.m. & again at 1:00 p.m. she went number 2 again. I believe she passed the sheet. She is having no problems going to the bathroom and acts normal. Thank you for your help.

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how things were going. I have to say that all sounds very encouraging, the chances are she will be just fine now ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian