Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog (a ridgeback) keeps liking the inside of belly /

Customer Question
My dog (a ridgeback)...

My dog (a ridgeback) keeps liking the inside of belly / upper legs. We have had her on 3 different types of antibiotics in last couple months - the vet thought it was a UTI. It didn't help.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Khaleesi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Khaleesi?

She is licking enough to have her hair very thin in that area now. It seems to itch more than hurt

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

So, a UTI is a possibility, though seemingly less likely after 3 different antibiotics. If a UTI is still suspected, then a urine culture should be performed, after 10 days off antibiotics, to see if there's any bacterial growth.

If this is not a UTI, then it's likely that there's some other issue going on here. There may be an underlying allergy, such as food allergy or environmental allergy. A short course of a steroid such as prednisone may help to determine if the licking is due to itching from allergies. A hypoallergenic diet trial may be worth considering.

You can try to start a daily fish oil supplement for Khaleesi. A large dog could receive 5000-7000 mg of fish oil daily, added to the food. Also, antihistamines such as Diphenhydramine, 50 - 75 mg every 12 hours, may reduce itching.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian