Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My golden ate a ornament off the tree it had styrofoam

Customer Question
berries and wire that held...
My golden ate a ornament off the tree it had styrofoam berries and wire that held them together the berries were about 20 and they are gone alone with some wire. I am worried about the wire
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

When did the ornament eating happen? About how long was the piece of wire? Is he having any symptoms?

Just a short time ago the wire was about 2" long she is having no symptoms

Thank you, ***** ***** take a small cotton ball and stretch it out. Then put it in some cheese or a treat and feed it to her. Hopefully that will catch the sharp ends of the wire and help it move through.

Check her gum color now and press into her abdomen for a baseline.

If she has internal bleeding her gums will be pale, purple, grey, or an abnormal color.

If she has a blockge in her gi tract or internal bleeding her abdomen may be tense or painful on palpation.

The wire could poke into her intestines, or stomach, and the gi contents could leak into her abdomen causing an infection in the abdomen. If that happens she will stop eating, most likely have a fever (dog normal is 100-102.5 F), vomit and have pain on abdominal palpation.

A blockage in the gastrointestinal tract would cause lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, pain on abdominal palpation, and severe lethargy.

So at this point, keep a close eye on her.

If she is still fine a week from now then you can relax a bit. The wire could cause an issue later on but it normally happens in the first week if it is going to.

Add 1/2 a cup of cooked brown rice to her food twice a day until Wednesday. The extra fiber will help push things through. The rice will provide a little bit of cushioning.

You may not see the wire in the stool if her stomach acid breaks it down. It is a good idea to check her stool for the wire for the next few days. If you see she has passed with wire in the stool then that would be great.

Did all of that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

When you are all set, please rate my answer by clicking on the stars at the top of the screen.

Many Thanks

Happy Holidays

How is Bella doing now?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian