Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

11 year old lab had one puppy 10 hours ago but is still

Customer Question
having intermittent burst of contactions...
11 year old lab had one puppy 10 hours ago but is still having intermittent burst of contactions with no sign of a pup- nothing in birth canal. Closest Vet is 5 hours away- can anything be done to help? Not sure if there is another puppy, do contractions suggest there is more?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog had a puppy and is still having contractions. Were you able to observe if she passed the placenta after the pup? Dogs often swallow it, so if you were not around then you might have missed it. That would signify the end of labor if you were able to observe it.

She did pass a placenta-- but doesn't each puppy have its own placenta?

Each puppy does have its own placenta attachment, but there is part of the placenta that attaches to the mother that needs to be expelled as well. If she is still straining or pushing then there is still something inside. It may be a fetus or a placenta. Most likely it is a fetus.

This is not recommended to treat at home because if it is a blocked birth canal then she will not be able to successfully pass the puppy or placenta. The safest thing to do is to drive the 5 hours to have her treated. It is definitely longer than normal after 10 hours of labor from when the first puppy was delivered. If it is not possible to drive 5 hours then placing warm towels around her abdomen and making sure she stays hydrated are the only treatment options that will be helpful. The remainder of her treatment is to give oxytocin and calcium gluconate, which are injections.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Just checking in. How is your dog doing?