Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a number of outside dogs getting sick. Lethargic, not…

Customer Question
I have a number...

I have a number of outside dogs getting sick. Lethargic, not eating, blood either in urine or diarrhea, foam at mouth-salivating, then death. 3-4 days apart next dog gets infected. Have lost 4 already. It's one after the other and we are at a loss.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Please re-read. I stated "several" dogs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No. Was healthy yesterday.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I suspect lepto and need to know what to do so no one else gets sick and dies
12/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Do you have any rat poison or rat bait anywhere on the property?

As far as Lepto goes, I would recommend taking one of the sick animals to the vet for testing. If he tests positive, getting them on antibiotics early leads to a good prognosis.

Have you ever taken one of them in for a necropsy (autopsy for animals) on one of the recently deceased animals?

We notice they are sick and then they are pretty much dead. We have so many other dogs and they are just getting sick one after the other. There is no time, they are outside and we have flies. We are trying to keep everything clean but it's still spreading. And these dogs do not have direct contact-not touching. What can I give everyone so no one else gets sick?
I also suggested a necropsy to my husband...haven't taken one in yet.

That is going to be you're next step is going to be a necropsy. If you can take one in less than a few hours after it has died that would give you the best results. There's nothing specific you can do though. I suspect either a toxin or an infection and the treatment for those are very different. There might be a toxic plant in your yard that they are grazing on. A necropsy would really help to determine this.

Lepto is going to present more like the flu at first, they are lethargic for a 5-7 days before they die typically.

Your response is not helping. They are in/on dirt-no plants. We have raised these dogs like this for many years. I do not want any more to get sick and die. Unless the toxin is in the food we buy?? Ole Roy the high performance type. Is their maybe a recall on the food?
Will it hurt if I treat everyone preventatively? With why do I do that?
No response? No help. How do I get refunded? Ugh...
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian