Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is on ID digestive because she has stomach issues and…

my dog is on ID...
my dog is on ID digestive because she has stomach issues and gets chronic pancreatitis. She has been eating, and not having any issues. Today I gave her Nexgard (first time on it) and heart guard plus around 10am and just now around 6:30 she had loose stool. It was not diahrrea but definitely loose. Have you seen that with flea/tick and heart worm prevention? Her stool has been very firm and solid with the Hills ID and so this is the first time in a while I have seen loose stool. I am praying it is not another pancreatitis bout, but she's eating and drinking.Also, she had blood work taken today at the vet for a maldigestion profile.
12/10/2017
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry that your pet has those issues but it sounds like you do a great job keeping her under control.
I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.
Anytime a pet gets a new medication, there is always a chance that it could cause stomach upset and diarrhea even if it is a low possibility. Some dogs are just more sensitive to certain medications and she sounds like she is a little sensitive.
It is good that she is still eating and is not vomiting.
Monitor her stool closely and ensure that it is not getting worse.
If need be, you can give her some original metamucil twice daily to help firm the stool. Do not get the flavored metamucil. It is a very natural way to increase fiber and help with diarrhea. If you give me her weight, I can give you an amount to give her.
If she starts to show symptoms of the pancreatitis, then you should have her evaluated and treated like in the last.
That is also great that she had the maldigestion profile. You sound like a great pet owner.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
I am happy to help.
IF you are satisfied with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.
Even after the rating this conversation will stay open for about a week so keep me posted.
Sincerely,
Dr. Nicole
With the ID even when she had pancreatitis her stool was still firm. She’s also on Pepcid and I realized I didn’t give
it to her so that’s also a possibility. I just have her fortiflora. She’s drinking normally and she accepted a low fat treat when she came in from her walk. Besides the loose stool she is playful and seems fine: sleeping a lot today but I think it’s also the weather
Should I give her some tylan with the next
few feedings? I haven’t lately because the Hills ID makes her poop very firmShe belches a lot and has acid reflux so while the 10mg of Pepcid once a day has helped (5mg morning and 5mg at night) she is still belching a lot and with pancreatitis issues and sensitivity I want everything tested. I have good pet insurance. I always worry about cancer :(
Great. I like the pepcid and fortiflora. Those are really good things to keep her on. The metamucil is very benign so it is up to you if you want to try it. You can certainly see how she does tonight and if getting worse then get it for her. Depending on how she does you may or may not want to use the nexgard.
Has that been a symptom of nexgard vefore? She’s been on heartguard for years no problem. I switched to nexgard because I thought would be easier than applying a topical
Tylan won't hurt her but if you don't have to use it it would be better to save it for the really severe cases and use something a little more natural, however if you know she has done well with it in the past, it is fine. Maybe wait and see how her next few stools are just in case they get more firm.
I will wait. I gave her fortiflora and Pepcid not long ago so hopefully that helps. She is drinking too which is good.
Any oral medication can cause stomach upset or diarrhea even in rare cases especially with certain pets.
I don't think this is a common side effect but it really tall depends on the pet.
Ooopps...all depends on the pet.
Please keep me posted and I will check in with you in a few hours. Ok?
Ok I am just praying it was from the medication. I don’t know if I can deal with another stomach issue :( this morning her poop was solid.Also on ID do dogs seem to poop more? She has been going multiple times a day, however, solid. I don’t want to talk her off it because she’s doing better on this than anything else before even with more stool
I am praying for you. I know how terrible pancreatitis can be. Hopefully it won't progress into anything else.
How much a dog poops tends to be related to fiber and/or the protein source. As long as her stools are solid and she is doing well on it, I wouldn't switch her food even if she has multiple bowel movements.
Ever dog is different about that too. Some dogs only have 2 a day on that food and some 3-4. It really just depends. Sorry, I know that is a really open answer. But I have learned to evaluate individuals instead of assuming that all will do the same on a given food or med.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
I just see the loose stool and I think the worst because of her pancreatitis past. Really can’t deal with it again so praying it’s nothing :(
Just checking in to see how things are going. Hope all is going well.
HiShe pooped this morning and it was firmer, still softer than her normal poops but better than last night. She also just ate her breakfast and slept through the night.
That is really great. Thank for the update!! Keep me posted.
her stool is still on the softer side (it’s more firm than last night) it’s just not as firm as it usually is. She’s eating, drinking normally. Should I not worry as long as she’s acting normal?
Sorry for the delay. Have some sick family members!
No I wouldn't worry as long as she is acting her normal self. It should get better with time.