Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have 10 year old Pitt who has pretty significant arthritis…

Customer Question
I have 10 year...

I have 10 year old Pitt Bull who has pretty significant arthritis in her back legs. In last two days she’s had some strange behaviors. Two days ago she threw up early in the morning- twice within a few minutes - all her dinner from the night before - a ton of food and water. She’s been sluggish but still eTing and drinking. Today she’s shivering and shaking off and on and then panting

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Bull?

We’ve had success with helping her arthritis by changing her food and giving her supplements

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your dog, please?

Her early morning vomiting of the previous dinner indicates delayed gastric emptying. Food is remaining in her stomach and fermenting prompting her vomiting. Delayed gastric emptying, however, isn't a diagnosis but, instead, a symptom of either primary gastric disorders or disorders elsewhere in the body that are effecting her stomach. In most cases delayed gastric emptying abates unaided within a few days and we never know why it arose. In dogs in which it persists, conservative therapy might involve the use of a pro-kinetic drug such as metoclopramide (Reglan) but her vet might want to investigate a 10 year old more thoroughly with diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests +/- imaging such as abdominal X-rays or, preferably, abdominal ultrasound.

Shivering/shaking and panting are most often associated with pain, anxiety, or both.