Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 6 yr old female boxer mix had a gran mal seizure a couple…

Customer Question
My 6 yr old...

My 6 yr old female boxer mix had a gran mal seizure a couple weeks back. I'm pretty sure she had at least one other one before that and I think she has them when she sleeps. She's been frequently over salivating (not drooling but habitual swallowing), flapping her ears, and yawning/stretching her throat. When she gets worked up she starts to hack now. Drooling and hacking precipitated the gran mal seizure I witnessed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Bella. I took her to the vet. they did blood work and an x ray. all looked normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?

She is an emotional creature. Stress could be a factor

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. F, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. F
Dr. F, Veterinarian
Hi there, I am Dr. Mike, a licensed veterinarian and practice owner. I am sorry to hear about Bella, seizures can be a frightening event. Has she been started on any medication for the seizures?
Stress can definitely be a trigger. Please tell me what the seizures look like.
No medication. Her behavior is normal except for the other symptoms and I haven't witnessed any other seizures except for the ones I'm guessing she has in her sleep. I could be wrong so medication as a last resort. The one seizure I witnessed was when we were driving and she was staring through the front windshield from the back of the car. She was staring and then started to drool excessively. We nudged her into the back seat and she started hacking strenuously like she was trying to throw up something then her head started to spasm and she was thrown and her whole body was spasming. We pulled over and put her on the ground. She was foaming at the mouth and her feet were running and it seemed as if she was struggling to breathe. She went rigid and her eyes bugged out and her breathing was hard. It lasted about 2-3 minutes. I've been thinking about using the adaptil collar to help her with stress and hemp oil. What do you think of these options? Do you know any other alternatives to medication?
That definitely sounds like a seizure. I have been using CBD oils with varying levels of success for about a year now for patients with epilepsy. There are multiple causes for seizures but it sounds like the usual extracranial causes have been ruled out by your veterinarian which is excellent. Have you noticed any changes in her behaviour? Has she become mean or removed from her family? I usually try to rule out both intracranial - within the head and spinal cord - and extracranial - metabolic issues like kidney or liver disease - as causes of seizures before calling it idiopathic epilepsy.

Have you noticed any of these changes?

Dr. F
Dr. F
Dr. F, Veterinarian