Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 13 year old male goldendoodle. He has been on amlodipine…

Customer Question
My 13 year old male...
My 13 year old male goldendoodle. He has been on amlodipine besylate 10 mg tablets orally (1 1/2 tablets daily), benazepril 10 msg orally 3 tablets every 12 hours. And loartan 25 msg (3/4 tablets once daily) for high protein levels and high blood pressure. He also has a mass in his liver which was found on a scan. We decided to leave it due to his age. Earlier this Fall he had a UTI (staph & strep). He was on clavamox (4 weeks) and doxycycline (2 weeks). Tested and the clavamox had to be continued for another month to get rid of the infection. Finally, he was clear of any infections and after 2 months of the clavamox, the clavamox was finished. Three days after finishing the clavamox he began urinating in the home (on his way outside and while eating). Tested urine that day and it came back negative for any bug. I was convinced stopping the clavamox was the impetus for the incontinence. I convinced the vet to begin the clavamox despite being negative for any infection. Two doses and the incontinence stopped. The vet wrote a two week prescription for the clavamox.
After two weeks of clavamox the prescription ran out. 54 hours later he began accidentally urinating Inside again. The vet gave us another 14 days worth of clavamox. After 2 doses of the clavamox, the urinating Inside stopped.
I have spoken with other older dog owners who also have found clavamox as a remedy for accidental urinating inside the home.
I am trying desperately to find a medical reason, article or opinion that would explain why clavamox has stopped the accidental urinating. Do you have any ideas?? I live in an apartment building on the 24th floor, with carpeted public hallways. I can’t afford another professional carpet cleaning charge. I don’t want to have my dog on medication unnecessarily but at the same time it seemed to resolve the accidental urination miraculously. Any ideas ?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

There's only one reason why Clavamox would successfully address urinary incontinence and that reason is that there's an infection in his urinary tract responsive to that antibiotic. It's easy to miss an infection if only a urinalysis is used as a test for it...particularly when urine is dilute as I expect it is at his age. In addition, infection in the kidney(s) - pyelonephritis - may be easily missed because the bacteria from such an infection may only be intermittently shed into the urine. Pyelonephritis, then, is best diagnosed by advanced imaging such as ultrasound or CT of the kidneys. I would consider treating your dog with 6-8 weeks of Clavamox with the expectation that I'm addressing a pyelonephritis. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.