Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chocolate lab puppy, stella ate one advil liquid gel

Customer Question
capsule, that I was giving...
My chocolate lab puppy, stella ate one advil liquid gel capsule, that I was giving myself and missed my mouth. About 40 minutes ago. I tried to induce vomiting by giving her hydrogen peroxide, but she has not throw up. and is now sleeping. should I be worried? she’s 25 pounds. and 5 months old. what if she doesn’t throw up, did I worse the condition by giving her the peroxide?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much peroxide did you give?

How long ago did this happen?

about 3 tbspand she ate the advil maybe an hour ago and I gave her the perioxde right after.

Hi again,

Now the Ibuprofen at this dose is more a risk then peroxide irritating her stomach (why it makes them vomit); especially as this dose could cause GI upset but also carries the risk of causing bleeding stomach ulcers and damage to the kidneys/liver. So, do try the peroxide again and 2-3 tbsp. is fine to use. You can repeat it up to a total of 3 times. As well, do get her moving after you give it to get it mixing into her stomach as that sometimes is a limiting factor for getting them to vomit for us.

Otherwise, you could consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 25-100 grams for her size. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this,to counter nausea and try to protect the stomach, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, I would try again to get her to vomit since leaving that tablet in her stomach carries a much bigger risk for Stella. So, do retreat +/- use the activated charcoal right away. IF you have any struggles of she shows those above signs or has bloody/brown vomit, black stool (without having had the charcoal), pale gums or belly pain; then we'd need her seen urgently by the local vet. In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

ok so it was a 200mg liquid gel of advil. and i’ve now given her 5 tbps of the perioxide. i’m playing ball with her so she runs around. if she doesn’t throw up with in the next hour should I be concerned? everything I have read says you must catch it with in the first 2 hours. she has no symptoms. i’ve also given her water because I read that was good to do.

Hello again,

Yes, I already checked the dose and its a 17mg/kg dose for her size which is worrisome.

So, I am glad you gave more and got her moving. Hopefully she will bring that up before symptoms develop (2hrs is a limit for usefulness of inducing vomiting, which we then use charcoal after that and up to 8 hours post ingestion but signs aren't expected until >4 hours and possible over the next 48 hours) but if we dont' get her vomiting in the next 10-15 min, we want her seen. Waiting an hour is too long and would just give it more time to absorb and risk harm.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

all i’m doing with her now is running my block. and nothing is happening. she’s not getting sick and she’s acting fine. is there anyway the medicine coukd of not effected her? my vet is too expensive for me to see on saturdays.

Hello again,

There is no way to predict if a dog would be lucky enough not to get a stomach ulcer or damage to the kidneys/liver from ingesting Ibuprofen. So, if you cannot get her vomiting (do make sure you are using a fresh bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide, as it degrades to water with age and could explain why its not working), then you need to treat with activated charcoal as noted or see if a different local vet can see her for less. Some vets have regular Saturday office hours without emergency fees, so that may be needed here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

how long after she’s taken the pill should I stop giving her the perioxide?

Hi again,

We have a 2 hour window for inducing vomiting, after that time we can still use the activated charcoal.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

trying two different items to induce vomit is ok?

Its fine to use both, but the activated charcoal won't make her vomit. As I mentioned before its a drug/toxin binder. So, yes they can both be used but that one isn't aiming to make her vomit as it sounds like we are getting to a point where we are past that treatment option.

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Stella. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian