Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

MY DOG ATE A CAKE entemans chocolate fudge cake. Sammy 1.5…

Customer Question
MY DOG ATE A...

MY DOG ATE A CAKE entemans chocolate fudge cake

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Sammy 1.5 yrs he is about 50lbs and the cake was about 1lb

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did he have this?

How is Sammy just now?

Hi again,

As time is of the essence, I will leave my response since I cannot see a reply from you about our time frame for Sammy.

Now we cannot appreciate how much cocoa powder was used in this case since its not a homemade one (and companies don't tend to reveal volumes of ingredients used), so we do need to tread with care. Especially as he has had so much. Generally speaking, in these cases we just tend to see GI upset (Vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) but there is always a small risk of more severe chocolate toxicity signs (changes to the breathing/heart rate, seizures, etc).

Now depend in how much time has elapsed, we have a few options. First, if its been <2 hours, we can just induce vomiting to get as much of this back up as we can and reduce risk. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively if it has been more than 2 hours (but less than 8 hours), you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**