Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog vomited blood and stuff, bile? She threw up her food…

Customer Question
Dog vomited blood and...

Dog vomited blood and white stuff, bile?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

She threw up her food yesterday morning. Right after she ate. I assumed she may have ate too fast. But before I could feed her at night she vomited grass. Didn’t feed her after that. She vomit again which had some steaks of pink. Threw up a few more times threw the night and at 5:30 she threw up large amount of bright red blood.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Piper 2 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Piper?

No, she’s been healthy

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much blood did you see (spoonful, cupful, etc)?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any black stools or diarrhea?

About 2-3 tablespoons worth, not sure I don’t think she has drank any water in the last 12 hours or so. Gums are pink, moist. No discomfort when I pushed on belly. Since this started I haven’t seen her bowel movements. She gets let out into the yard. But she hasn’t eaten anything since yesterday morning. And she threw up that entire meal.

Hello again,

First, I am glad to see it wasn't a severe amount of blood and if it was just a few spoonfuls that could be related to irritation/inflammation of the throat and stomach from the vomit. Of course, we do need to keep a close eye for any more as we try to soothe her stomach since we can see gut trauma from non-edible items or stomach ulcers cause similar signs. Otherwise, given her history, it sounds like the vomiting has been a bit more chronic leading up to this bloody vomit, so we'd be concerned about not just foreign bodies but also a possible bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or dietary indiscretions.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle Piper's stomach and get her feeling like eating. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk with vomiting, we need to keep an eye on Piper's hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. Since we have seen blood we do need to be cautious but can start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, we see any more blood, her gums were to pale, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, gastroprotectants, +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

i did not see her eat anything that she may have eaten, but I dont know. Our neighbor said she was playing catch with her at lunchtime and I was with her outside for an hour and she was running around playing. You replied back already, so I will start with the antiacids and take it from there.

Hello again,

Well, hopefully we can exclude that for her, but do try the above to see if we can get her settled. Though if we cannot do so, given that she is young (and so often they eat silly things), we'd want to have her checked just in case she got something when no one was looking.

All the best,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**