Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Do vets normally give penicillin and dexamethasone shots for…

Customer Question
Do vets normally give...

Do vets normally give penicillin and dexamethasone shots for kennel cough?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

She is dashshund, 8 years old and her name is Lucy?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Lucy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?

She is up to date on all kennel cough shots just had a booster shot on November 9th, stays in the house with my 70 year old father in law, health and very well taking care of.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
How long will it be before the vet responds.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
My father in laws dog has passed away! She received a pencillin and dexamethasone shot today a the vet which was suppose to be for kennal cough. All of her shots are up to date just had kennel shot booster on November 9th. My father in law was given clavamox to start tomorrow along with comfortis because she had a few fleas. She had been acting funny all night like she was having a little trouble breathing. After several hours of walking around sitting and looking at my father in law not wanting him to hold her which is very very abnormal she started moaning, acting like she was gasping for air then started foaming from the mouth and nose with blood in it. He is very upset and we are trying to figure out just what went wrong. Thank you
12/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you about Lucy.

Penicillin is a common broad spectrum antibiotic choice for kennel cough and therefore was not unreasonable to use. With regards ***** ***** Dexamethosone, provided it was a low dose (so it acted as an anti-inflammatory not an immune suppressive drug) that too would be reasonable to use to reduce throat inflammation and with it the coughing. So, neither are inappropriate and if she passed away after treatment that suggests she either had an allergic reaction to Penicillin (rare) or she had something more ongoing. With regards ***** ***** latter, we'd be worried that she may have had an underlying pneumonia, possible underlying viral infection, a lung tumor, or lung or heart parasites (depending on the part of the states you are in). Asthma, bronchitis, and heart issues could also cause some of these signs and sudden death as well. Any of these could compromise breathing leading to the gasping/foaming and then blood that was seen as she struggled. To narrow down which did cause this, you may want to consider having an autopsy done. The local vet can do this or you can have her body sent to the local vet lab or closest vet school for vet pathologists to exam. That way we can pinpoint which issue was involved and gain closure for her passing.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian