Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2yo English bulldog has an abscess like swollen spot on…

Customer Question
my 2yo English bulldog has...
my 2yo English bulldog has an abscess like swollen spot on her paw. Can this be treated at home. I have pictures.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog has a swollen spot on one of the paws. I would be happy to look at the pictures. You can attach them by clicking on the paperclip icon on the toolbar.

Thank you for the pictures. This is a skin mass that has a small ulcer in the center. This should be confirmed, but a likely diagnosis is called a cutaneous histiocytoma. These are benign skin tumors that occur more commonly in bulldog breeds. They typically go away on their own over a course of 3-5 months. A simple test called an aspirate and cytology can diagnose it. It is a noninvasive test that involves a needle prick into the mass. It can be done without sedation.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I take it i should take her in to a vet to be diagnosed?

Just checking in. Do you have any other questions? I am still standing by.

I take it i should take her in to a vet to be diagnose. ?

Yes, that would be the best thing to do to make sure of a diagnosis.

Just checking in. How is your dog doing?

Hi Joshua,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Joshua Weith. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian