Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Tinley 13.75 years old Diabetic .5 dosage twice a day Eats…

Customer Question
Tinley 13.75 years old Diabetic .5 dosage twice...
Tinley
13.75 years old
Diabetic
.5 dosage twice a day
Eats W/D foodTinley has had a rough day today. She woke up and vomited once before breakfast. It was mostly frothy Bile. She then refused to eat her morning meal. I did not give her a shot. At one point I saw her stretching some as she does when her belly hurts but her stomach has not been hard or distended. I am not sure she has been drinking normally either. I haven’t seen her drink and when I offered it to her at one point she didn’t want it. Not sure if that just meant she had drank recently or had no desire for other reasons. She seems to have urinate and pooped regularly. Neither looked out of the ordinary. Tonight, she refused to eat again. I offered her some wet food to try and entice her and she ate maybe 3 bites and left. This dog has never turned down food a day in her life. Even that time her bg dropped to the 20s. So I initially didn’t give her the evening shot either. I researched some places that said she could have 1/4 of a dose if her bg was over 200. It was 475 after a day of no eating (well only 3 bites of regular fatty food) and no shots. I gave her 1/4 of her dose. She came back and laid down and went to sleep.
I wanted to see about getting her into our vet tomorrow but with snow and ice in the south, I’m not sure they will be there or how soon we can get in. Or if we need to try and get to the Er as soon as possible. I’m afraid of pancreatitis or ketones as her bg has been out of whack lately due to some eye issues.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth - I'm so sorry your question wasn't responded to sooner - different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about Tinley's problem, and want to help. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

I'm sorry Tinley isn't feeling well, has she had any vomiting through the day other than what you saw before breakfast?

I’m sorry. Since it took a while, I found a way to get my question answered by a local vet because I was so worried. But not sure how that works here.

No problem I can ask a moderator to cancel/get a refund if you would like-

That would be great. But thank you so much for responding.

You're welcome - hope Tinley is feeling better soon -I will let a moderator know.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian