Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has pain on his lower back and he cant jump and doesnt…

Customer Question
He has pain on...

He has pain on his lower back and he cant jump and doesnt want to walk

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No he doesnt have anythign with his feet... i can touch his legs and hes fine but if i put pressure on his lower back/side stomach he screams

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Teddy 7 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Teddy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Teddy?

Thats all thats happening... it started yesterday and hes acting worse

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Which breed is Teddy, please? You appear to be describing a dog suffering from degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") which should be an important differential diagnosis particularly in miniature/small breeds but seen in any dog. Supportive evidence of a disk may include vocalizing when approached or lifted, having trouble jumping up or down and navigating steps, ataxia (“drunken sailor”), trembling/shaking/panting (pain responses), a change in posture such as the neck held rigidly and head lower to the ground or a"hunch" in Teddy's back, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming aloof or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". Teddy's vet will want to carefully palpate (feel) about his spine looking for areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) suggestive of a disk. Conservative care involves the use of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam. These drugs are usually administered for at least ten days. Most simple disks will remiss within a few weeks. It's important to keep these dogs as quiet as possible lest they hurt themselves further.

Should paresis (weakness) or paralysis arise in any limb(s), Teddy would need the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. Such dogs are then surgical candidates for spinal cord decompression. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

hes a chinese crested and i noticed it started when the weather started getting chilly could that have anything to do with it? yes hes shaking alot kinda like hes cold. so he has to be seen by a vet?

Thank you. He's certainly a breed in which a disk needs to be considered. For the most potent and thorough care a vet visit is needed. You're constrained to giving Teddy the less potent nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) aspirin ( at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals) which is OK in a pinch but not as effective as what his vet can prescribe.

I don't believe the weather should be incriminated but I admit that my back hurts more when it's cold! Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?