Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She had her collar on too tight for a while I'm guessing…

Customer Question
She had her collar...

She had her collar on too tight for a while I'm guessing because she is still growing and it became too tight and she had a lot of pus dripping from there. I thought it was water but it's the collar and I took it off to let it try and heal and now she's super skinny and basically laying down all day and she has scalp all in her chest area, under her chin, and it's kind of all just filled with pus

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No I think that's all

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. It sounds like she got a secondary infection from her collar being too tight. Typically these types of issues will not clear up without oral antibiotics. I would recommend taking her to the vet for a check up so they can properly address the wound. Until then, I would recommend bathing her in an over the counter dog shampoo, preferably aloe and oatmeal based to help soothe her skin. I would make sure to dry her skin thoroughly with a clean towel afterwards. To the wound itself, you can apply a dilute betadine solution (the color of tea) to the area twice a day. I typically avoid neosporin to these because I want to keep them dry so they heal quicker. Let me know if you have any other questions.