Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is pregnant and ready to drop. She has some bloody milk…

Customer Question
She is pregnant and...

She is pregnant and ready to drop. She has some bloody milk coming out of her nipples

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Absolutely healthy. No signs of mastitis.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Is it all of her nipples or just a few?

Just a few

It may just be the colostrum coming in, but it could also be some very early symptoms of mastitis. Apply raw cold cabbage leaves for 15-20 minutes 3-4 times a day. If the nipples with the discharge become red, or hot to the touch, or she develops fever after her pups are born then let your veterinarian know.

Raw cabbage leaves are a natural anti inflammatory remedy for inflammation in the mammary tissue. You can get some ace bandage to hold it on there for the alotted period of time.

Either red or green cabbage is fine

Let me know how she does.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.