Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

For the last month, we have noticed that Baxter, a Weimer,

Customer Question
For the last month...

For the last month, we have noticed that Baxter, a Weimer, was having problems jumping up in our bed. Mainly his front legs. We went to the vet this Monday, and was given steroids to see if any spinal inflammation was the issue. It is rapidly getting worse. He can't walk he is lethargic, and is now having problems urinating.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Baxter will be 10 years old Dec 25th.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baxter?

No all up on vaccinations, flea treatments, no recent injuries....

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

I am so sorry to tell you this, but when neurological symptoms progress rapidly like this it can mean there is a spinal tumor present placing pressure on the spinal cord.

Baxter could also have a ruptured disk in intervertebral disk space that is also putting pressure on the cord.

Another possibility is something called a Fibrocartilaginous Emboli. This is where a piece of cartilage ends up in the spinal cord fluid and then creates a blockage which can cause acutely worsening neurologic symptoms.

He needs to have an MRI to see which one of these we are dealing with. Some are fixable and some unfortunately, are not.

We need to get him to an emergency center with an MRI tonight. If this is a disk issue there is a limited amount of time to do surgery to try and get him to regain walking function and urinary function.

I am not trying to scare you, but this could be quite serious and if we do not move fast here then you may end up having to put him down tomorrrow. I would hate for that to happen. I am so sorry this is happening.

If you need help locating a specialty center that can take him in tonight please let me know where you are located and i will do my best to find you the nearest location.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian