Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Well, we came home and my 2 year old hound has his penis…

Customer Question
Well, we came home...

Well, we came home and my 2 year old hound has his penis where it will not retract. My son said it was like that when he came home, which is over 2 hours now. It is completely unsheathed- so I was trying to read what we could do to help. Vet is closed....

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

See above- thank you!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Again, we came home and found my 2 year old dog (neutered) penis where it will not retract. My son said it's been that way for over two hours. Trying to read what we can do to help him. Vet is closed and we live out of town.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Are you reading this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog eating normally?

Hello?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

Have you read any of what I have typed?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

Again, have you read what I have typed?

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is the dog behaving differently?

Please read abover

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Nico

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nico?

My husband is going to grab some ky jelly- we just read that....I'll try to use the cool shower. Would love any help. Phone ***********

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Sometimes the hair around the penile sheath gets in the way of the penis going back in. So try to trim any hair that may be affecting the penis going back in.

M​ix up some sugar and water to make a thick paste. Apply that all over the penis. It has an osmotic effect to help draw fluid out of the penis which should help with swelling. Leave the paste on for 20-30 minutes.

T​hen rinse the sugar water paste off.

Generously apply the Ky jelly all over the penis. Pull the penile sheath skin up and over the penis.

I​f the penis does not stay in the sheath after that then the emergency vet will have to see him this evening and put the penis back into the sheath.

If you can not get the penis back in, and can not get him to a vet this evening, you will need to keep the penile tissue moist or it can become damaged. Use gauze squares soaked in saline. You can use the eye saline flush and gauze squares from the human drug store or walmart. D​oes that help? Let me know if you have any other questions.