Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She ate a toy last night. She throw up this morning. Has had…

Customer Question
She ate a toy...

She ate a toy last night. She throw up this morning. Has had 3 bowel movement and just threw up again. No toy. She is a catahoula/lab mix and the toy was made for a puppy (next door pup left in the yard). I would say it was the size of the palm of your hand.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the lab's name?

My dog is Nala and she is 3. The toy belonged to the puppy next door.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Nala ate a toy yesterday and has been throwing up today. I am sorry to hear about what has been happening. Has she been able to drink without vomiting today?

she threw up at 5 am, drank and ate breakfast. She has drank all day day. Has had 3 bowel movements and just threw up again a bit ago.

Thank you for that information. The main question to determine is whether or not she will be able to pass a foreign object through her stomach and intestines. The toy will not be able to be digested, so the risk of an obstruction is high at this point. The recommendation would be to have x-rays taken and to see if it is still within the stomach. If it is then it is not likely to be passed through the intestines. Surgery would be necessary. If it is past the stomach, which it should be by now normally, then a wait and see approach can be done. Medications for nausea and vomiting can be given to help control signs of nausea until she is able to pass the object as long as it is not obstructed.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Just checking in. How is Nala doing?