Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 2 dogs ate a whole package of Seeds of Change Quinoa and…

Customer Question
My 2 dogs ate...

My 2 dogs ate a whole package of Seeds of Change Quinoa and Brown Rice with Garlic. It says garlic powder on the ingredient list. When I called to ask them how much garlic powder is in there, they said it was proprietary info.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

The whole package has 2 cups of brown rice and quinoa, I don't think there would be that much garlic powder in it, but I just got a new dog this week (about 6 months old) and he got into it while i was gone. My other dog is 9 1/2 yrs old. I don't know if both ate it or just one of them ate it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Roady- 6 months, Stormy - 9 1/2 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roady-?

We've only had Roady 5 days. Stormy has no medical conditions, Roady has none that I know of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

How long ago do you suspect one or both of them ate it?

How long were you away from the home?

How much do they each weigh?

about 2 hrs ago, I was gone for 3 hrs, they are about 25 and 35 lbs

I recommend inducing both of them to vomit. Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

They will need about (1ml/lb) - (approximately 1 ounce, or 2 Tablespoons each) of hydrogen peroxide orally.

Then walk them inside on a leash with a garbage bag to catch his vomit.

If he does not vomit within 10-15 min of the hydrogen peroxide, he can have a second dose.

It is important that he vomit to the point of dry heaving, to know that his stomach is empty.

Any success at inducing them to vomit?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Denise

H​i, it's Dr. Denise. Checking in on Roady and Stormy. How are they doing?

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

If you’d like to request me in the future for your pet-related questions, you can contact me at this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drdenise/?rpt=3800