Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Recently, my 11 yr old golden has started making moaning or…

Customer Question
Recently, my 11 yr old...
Recently, my 11 yr old golden has started making moaning or growning noises when he is laying down or shifting positions. They are getting increasingly more frequent and concerning. He does have some mild arthritis, but does not make the noises when he sits or stands, mainly when sedentary. I took him to the vet but they didn’t seem to find anything and put him on novox. Even on the message continues to make these noises. No bloating or swelling in his abdomen. What could this be? Do I need to be worried?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

HI. My name is Dr. ***** *****. I have over 15 years experience as an emergency veterinarian. Give me one minute to read your question and respond.

From what you are describing, Sneak is uncomfortable. If your veterinarian did not find any evidence of pain on a thorough physical examination and the Novox is not helping. The next step is to look at bloodwork and potentially an ultrasound of his abdomen. Bloodwork will give a snapshot of of his liver and kidneys and help determine if additional diagnostics are recommended, such as the ultrasound. I am not a big fan of starting an anti inflammatory drug, without knowing what I am treating and if the liver and kidneys are normal to begin with. Has Sneak been eating normally? Have you changed his diet in the last month or two? Are his stools normal?

His diet and stools seem healthy. No change in appetite or bowl movements. The vet felt his abdomen and didn’t seem to find any discomfort or abnormalities. But the frequency of the moaning is getting worse. The vet said X-rays would more or less be a fishing expedition. I could not get him to replicate the sounds during the visit probably due to nervousness. Any ideas on what it could be?

I agree that X-rays are not a great diagnostic tool unless you have a specific area to focus on, like the chest if the patient is coughing. With generalized discomfort in an older dog, I like to rule out osteoarthritis, tick born disease (depending on where you live in the US), urinary tract infections/inflammation, hepatitis, renal disease, pancreatitis or gastroenteritis. If his abdomen is comfortable and he is eating and eliminating normally, then it is unlikely to be an issue with the gastrointestinal tract. It is very typical for patients to mask their clinical signs when at the vets office. You may want to video tape sneak using your phone when he is having an episode. This is always helpful to show your veterinarian. I think your next best option, is to have a CBC, biochemical profile and a urinalysis. You will get a lot of information.

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian