Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My year old chihuahua has yellow. My year old chihuahua has…

My year old chihuahua...

My year old chihuahua has yellow

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

My year old chihuahua has a dark yellow urine on her genitalia area I cleaned her off with a wash cloth should I be conserned she also has a urine smell I haven’t noticed before

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Iit doesn’t look like she is drinking water much

12/8/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Are you sure it is urine or could it be yellow "pus" coming from the vagina/vulva? Is she spayed? Is she urinating more than usual?

Yellow on her vagina and above no pus has been spayed
She urinates a lot anyway so no change in that

Thank you. It sounds like she may have a urinary tract infection. That can cause the urine to appear different. It can cause the urine to smell abnormal too.

So, if she were mine I would start with a urinalysis to check for infection.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
I need to call dr for app thank you

Then antibiotics can be prescribed as needed. Urinary tract infections are very common in female dogs because when they squat to go the vulva is close to the ground and dirt and bacteria can get on the vulva and move up the urethra to cause an infection.

If she will tolerate it, add warm water or low sodium broth to her food to increase her fluid intake. That will help flush out her urinary tract too.

You are welcome. Glad to help. Happy Holidays.

Thank You