Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He's bleeding from the nose and getting his nose scoped next

He's bleeding from the nose...
He's bleeding from the nose and getting his nose scoped next week (along with dental exam and xray). The prognosis isn't good, although I'll know more this week. Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable for what may be his last few months?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: My 14 year old male dog mix breed
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He's on a very low dose of rimadyl (25 mg twice a day) for hip lameness. He gets turmeric treats. I use a water additive to help mitigate plaque (knowing that it is not a cure). His teeth look pretty good according to the vet. He's getting them cleaned because he will be under, but it wasn't something the vet strongly suggested, it was elective on my part. His bloodwork came back normal.
12/8/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Lets not be too negative at this point

There are some diseases that can cause bleeding from the nose that are NOT terminal

How long has this been going on?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
About a month and it's steadily gotten worse. It was pinkish and fairly rare...now every time he sleeps it leaves about a quarter plus sized spot where he rested his head.

Okay have they checked platelet numbers and ability to clot blood?

Abdominal ultrasound?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They have done the platelets and they are normal. No abdominal ultrasound...he's eating/drinking normally and has no signs of issues there. He is getting a mammary tumor removed on Wednesday which is when they will scope the nose.

Okay- I recommended the abdominal ultrasound because he is 14- want to make sure there is nothing else going on isnce he is going to be under

And I wanted to rule out a mast cell tumor in the abdomen since they can get bleeding noses related to that

Did they check systemic blood pressure?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As far as I know, no (on the systemic BP check)...not in front of me. They may have done it in the back when they took the blood.

Okay

I would recommend they check it- that can also cause bleeding- and would be a really easy fic

The ultrasound would also be a very good idea

Dont want any more issues down the road

Check BP first- it is high then they for sure need to do U/S as they can have adrenal masses that cause this

Need to be thorough here

And stay positive about the scoping- maybe it is an infected tooth root!

Okay?

I will be here to follow along with you

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, Paul. I appreciate your encouragement.

You are very welcome

I will leave this link open after you rate me so that you can update me with no other costs until we see this problem through to the diagnosis :)

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian