Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate a stick of butter, he's nine years old and a garbage…

Customer Question
He ate a stick...

He ate a stick of butter, he's nine years old and a garbage gut. He'll eat paper yarn anything.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Harley. Today I'm only worried about the butter. I'm just saying he had ate worse things.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harley?

He really hasn't had any health problems.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Good morning

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Oh boy- tis the season isnt it? :(

Okay we need to watch for vomiting and diarrhea

Hopefully the worst we will see is acute gastritis but we have to be on the lookout for pancreatitis also

I would give him his regular breakfast this AM and add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin to it

I am trying to coat that butter and push it through

Water is fine

You should also give Zantac to settle the stomach- how much does he weigh?

Paul

Are you still there?

Paul

About 18 lbs. He's been ok so far. He like to eat paper. So butter my not be the first he has had this week. He hasn't had anything to eat. No diarrhea, I'll get him some pumpkin and rice this evening.

Hi!

Okay great

You can give 1.0 mg/kg Zantac by mouth three times a day OR 10.0mg :)

And please update me tonight

And please dont forget to rate me- That is how I get paid

Paul

Good morning

How are we doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian