Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Two days ago my nine year old dachshund vomited thin

Customer Question
Two days ago my...

Two days ago my nine year old dachshund vomited thin yellowish fluid early in the morning. No other symptoms. Washed all the bedding. This morning he woke up yipping as if in pain. I held him close and he quieted down. Now he continues to fall asleep then wake up yipping in pain. I have gently pushed on his abdomen, legs, feet. He has had one side of his abdomen that is larger than the other. About four years ago he slipped a disc and had surgery at Davis vet hospital, that next day, he was still in the hospital postoperative, another slipped and they did a second surgery. He does use his back legs seemingly by memory. I am very scared and I do not have much money but I want to whatever I can for him..I have to say he doubles as my comfort animal since my daughter had two heart transplants. I will do anything.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dachshund eat anything unusual?

No, he did eat but the past few days he only picked.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dachshund?

He is the best friend I ever had and I am scared,

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 7 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Do you still need help with this matter? If so, it is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Did he have any unusual treats like bones, fatty foods, rawhides, pig ears, etc?

Has he slipped, or injured himself recently?

Has he been playing harder than normal recently?

Is he walking with an arched back or holding his head down?