Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is breathing rapidly, and is uncomftroble. Rapid

Customer Question
She is breathing rapidly...

She is breathing rapidly, and is uncomftroble

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Rapid breathing

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Girl, she is 5 blue heeler aust shepard mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Girl?

Anal glands been a problem vet gave her shot and antibiotics

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
SHE HAD A COOKED HAM BONE ABOUT 7PM
12/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 4 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I just signed in and noticed no other expert chose to answer your question and wanted to help. Do you still need help with this matter? If so, it is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

Is she still eating and drinking?

Does she seem to have abdominal pain?

Any vomiting and diarrhea?

Is she able to defecate?

Was it a small round ring like bone or one of the longer ham bones?

Did she ingest the bone or just gnaw on it?

She is in discomfort
No vomiting or diarrhea
Yes she has defecated
Longer bone
Both ingested part

Thanks for the additional information. I am typing your reply now.

There are a few things you need to be concerned about here including pancreatitis, intestinal obstructions and peritonitis and discomfort from the anal glands.

Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas is a gland that produces and releases enzymes into the digestive track that aid in the digestion of food. When these same enzymes are activated while they are still in the pancreas, inflammation occurs and the enzyme start "digesting" the pancreas itself. Some common causes of pancreatitis are eating a lot of very fatty foods, obesity, steroid use and other diseases and conditions. Ham is a fatty food and she might have a touch of pancreatitis starting.

Symptoms of pancreatitis vary but include vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, weakness or collapse, dehydration, shock, fever, depression, and upper abdominal pain. A dog may indicate abdominal pain by acting restless, panting, crying or wincing when picked up, shaking, standing with an arched back, or lying with the front end down and the rear end elevated. You can read about it in detail here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Since she is defecating, an intestinal obstruction is not present yet, but could still occur so watch for signs that she can not defecate and vomiting. With an obstruction a dog will often vomit a substance that smells and looks like fecal matter. You can read about obstructions here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/

In addition, bones can splinter and puncture the gastrointestinal tract causing peritonitis. So watch for this as well.

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/peritonitis-in-dogs/

Now if she has anal gland issues, they could be causing her some discomfort and this might be the issue. You can alternate cool and warm compresses to help with the discomfort. The pieces of bones moving through her system might also be causing her discomfort as well. As long as she is eating, drinking and eliminating, I'd continue to monitor her for symptoms and have her seen if she does develop vomiting, diarrhea or stops eating, have her seen immediately.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please done hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner