Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a american dog mixed with pit and he has a large lump…

Customer Question
I have a american...

I have a american bull dog mixed with pit and he has a large lump a little bigger than a golf ball size on is right rib cage (lower) it is very hard and it does not move it does not hurt and it seems not to bother him

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If this lump arose quickly it's likely to represent an abscess (pus-filled), seroma (serum-filled), or hematoma (blood-filled). If it's been present for longer than a couple of weeks, it's likely to be a lipoma (benign fat tumor) or perhaps cyst - epidermoid (oily debris-filled) or apocrine (sweat-filled). The only manner in which to clarify what it represents prior to consider removing it is to have his vet needle aspirate it and examine the aspirate microscopically. This can be done while you wait in the exam room. If his vet is unclear about what he/she is seeing, the aspirate can be sent to our pathologist for review. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.