Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

6 year old hound pit mix lethargic last night, cold,

Customer Question
6 year old hound...

6 year old hound pit mix lethargic last night, cold, vomited, red streaking inside ears and on belly, gave some Benedryl in case allergy, today, red all over and inside ears, belly and feet hot to touch, inside lips little limp and swollen, all else looks normal. just laying around.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Though could be spider bite or allergy to cats in area. Also Opossums around. Live in rural area. Never seen skin on any of my 5 dogs get this red. Seems hemorrhagic. We have black widows around outside, but would think there would be extreme swelling at bite site and would be fatal. Perhaps a virus from outside cats. Another dog tore up bottom of utility room door old home with luan wood paneled doors, with old white paint. Thought maybe got into something toxic. Other 4 dogs OK so far. My husband and I have been suffering since Thanksgiving with a viral upper respiaratory infection that causes major conjestion and coughing, though doubt a cross-over, the dogs have a bad habit of getting into trash cans and eating old tissues--pretty nasty. Let her stay inside all day, and only drank milk (took a few minutes to get her to drink it, wouldn't drink anything last night) Can't give Aspirin for fever, because of redness and possible blood seeping under skin capillaries. Don't want to risk her bleeding out if it is hemorrhagic condition. Gave a little more Benedryl (small doses) a while ago, she is breathing harder and moaning a little. No more vomiting. Gave a bit of smoked sausage, just to get something in her stomach, and earlier a slice of cheese. No signs of her urinating or defecating while in house all day today.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your dog has become sick so suddenly.

What is her name?

BooBoo

From your description, it is unlikely that she caught anything from the cats or humans in your family. My biggest concern is a toxic ingestion. It sounds as they she is experiencing hemorrhaging or severe hypertension (high blood pressure).. Could she have had access to any rat/mouse poison?

I'm very concerned about Booboo's condition. Given that she has been so severely affected and so quickly, I recommend that she be seen by her veterinarian as soon as possible. My biggest concern for her is a toxic ingestion, but diagnostics like a full physical exam and bloodwork are warranted to determine the cause of her symptoms.

I wish you both all the best.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

If you’d like to request me in the future for your pet-related questions, you can contact me at this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drdenise/?rpt=3800

Hi, it's Dr Denise checking in on Booboo. How is she doing? Were you able to have her seen by a veterinarian?
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian