Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

90 lb dog lab ate a piece of pink attic insolation about…

Customer Question
90 lb dog lab...

90 lb dog lab ate a piece of pink attic insolation about 2x2x10 about 30 minutes ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the lab will be able to digest that. What is the lab's name and age?

Charlie age 1 1/2 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?

He eats everything, had surgery in Sept for foreign body.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm not worried that it will pass just wondering if toxic. I work for IDEXX and was told by our internal specialist Dr Laszlo to reach out to poison control. let me know. Should I give him a vasoline sandwich?

I'm sorry to hear that Charlie got a hold of and ate some pink fiberglass insulation and I'd like to help.

We don't want to induce vomiting when animals eat sharp things like insulation as the force of vomiting can cause sharp objects to lacerate his esophagus.

In this case we need to try and hope that we can get these pieces to pass through his gastrointestinal tract.

To help I recommend starting with a Vaseline (or any nonscented petroleum) jelly sandwich. Take a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with Vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with a second slice. Feed it to him bite sized piece by piece or he will make a huge Vaseline mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the glass fiber pieces slip rather than catch.

For the next few days, until the pieces pass, he'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the pieces are surrounded, the gut isn't irritated any more and isn't contracting on just glass fiber pieces.

A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, not pie filling, just pumpkin, to each meal for fiber.

You'll need to check his stools frequently for grittiness or pieces in the next few days. If the pieces are broken down quite small and his stomach acid does a good job you may not see anything.

Signs that things aren't going well, and he needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy.

If you aren't seeing fragments in the next day or two a veterinary visit and an abdominal radiograph to possibly see where the pieces are an option. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have him checked.

Once the pieces are passed and he's feeling well then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take about a week to get him converted back to regular food.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

No pink glass fiber insulation is not considered toxic per se, it is considered inert. But the sharp fibers can cut the gut lining or piece the wall and travel into the abdominal cavity creating a nasty granuloma type reaction.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian