Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Male Black Lab is 8 1/2 yrs old and has been very healthy…

Customer Question
Hi, My Male Black Lab is...
My Male Black Lab is 8 1/2 yrs old and has been very healthy and energetic until about a month ago. On October 3rd we moved into a an RV park where there are other dogs and a common fenced gravel area where the dogs are to do their business. There is also a faucet and water in there for the dogs to drink (or pee) in this same dogrun area. This always struck me as unsanitary. After being here a few weeks he began to have a white discharge from his eyes. I took him to a vet on Nov 11th and got neo-poly eye drops and the white discharge stopped.
About Nov 18th he began to limp on his right real leg for no reason and no apparent damage to his feet. A few days later we took him back to the vet and he examined his spine and he thought he had injured it by jumping out of the truck. He gave us Prednison 10mg, Doxcycline 100mg and Tramadol HCL 50mg. Since then he has been lethargic and now is limping on both right legs. He has difficulty getting up, limps, and he is waking us a few times a night to pee and poop (his poop is normal). He has never done this before. He drinks plenty of water but is now fussy and will only eat people food-eggs and carrots and such.
We found a tick on him on Dec 1st got him back to the vet on the 3rd. The results came back from the blood test for lime disease today and they came back negative. We had him in Lake Tahoe Ca and I guess he picked up the tick there. The vet wants us to bring him back and increase his steroids and fluids and have him stay there. So far we have spent about $800 and they still don't even know whats wrong with him. We are in Boulder City Nevada and they dont really have a tick problem here. I'm concerned that due to his age that he will not fully recover and that he is just falling into old age. I dont want to spend hundreds more only end up putting him down in the next few months. Do you have experience with black labs of this age and had similar symptoms.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Has he had full blood work done besides just the tick tests?

Has he had xrays to evaluate his joints and lungs? Often difficult diseases or autoimmune conditions can present like your dogs symptom and if so we need to evaluate his skeletal system.

It is also not wrong to consider getting an internal medicine specialist involved. This case is not going to be an easy one to diagnose it sounds like. With an internal medicine specialist involved we may be able to get to the bottom of things much faster.

Can you send me your dog's labwork and tests that have been run so i can take a look?

I'm waiting to hear back from the vet

ok I will keep an eye on this post for the results

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian