Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog tore off a Christmas ornament off the tree that was…

Customer Question
My dog tore off a...
My dog tore off a Christmas ornament off the tree that was made out of a yarn ball and metal sewing needles/pins. I fear that he may have swallowed a needle (if not more). He threw up just now but i dont know if that is from the needle or if its from some cereal he ate a 5 minutes ago that i dropped on the floor. We recently took him for xrays for something else that happened a little while back and 800$ pretty much went down the drain because they didnt find anything. I dont know what to do now. Would a 2 inch needle pass through him or does he need surgery? He is 5 months old.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question. Ouch on the $800 bill the last time he had a work up. I would hope that this situation could be worked up a lot more efficiently and with way less expense. In a case like this at my ER, I would have the owner come in and I'd take initially one x-ray to see if that needle was inside of the patient. A metal needle will show up easily if it is inside of him. If it is in him, then they will most likely take a second film to try and get a better idea as to where it is at. Could a needle pass through and not cause an issue? It has that chance. The chance of this is improved with the bigger the pet is and if there is no string / yarn / thread attached to the needle.

Is there anything we should give him at home to try and help him pass the needle through? If it were to hurt him on the inside, is he likely to show a change in behavior that we would notice?

I typically tell owners to just continue to feed them as they usually do and to feed the same food. Basically keeping things the same, so if he does start to vomit, stop eating for over 24 hour, or start to act uncomfortable - then the concern can be more focused on if it is the needle causing the issues. So basically watching for these things is what is done.

Ok thank you for your help. We will keep a close eye on him for the next few days and see if he is acting differently.

I'm hoping for the best for him. The big things to be watching for are the vomiting and the loss of appetite for over 24 hours. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Hello. My dog just vomited for the second time and I found a single needle pin in his vomit. Is that good or bad?
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

I do not think Dr. Bruce is seeing your response yet. I would recommend getting your dog to your regular veterinarian now for abdominal xrays because he may have damaged his stomach or intestines from other pins. This is no longer something that is recommended to wait. Please get him to your regular veterinarian as soon as possible to be evaluated.

I am opting out as this is Dr. Bruce's question and he may have something more to add, but please get your dog evaluated now if you can.