Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is vomiting when drinking water and wont eat a thing.

Customer Question
My dog is vomiting...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

THANK YOU SO MUCH no she didnt she eats only her food and today she wouldnt get up

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Roxy and shes 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?

Yeah shes really shaken and doesnt want to move

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Roxy has been vomiting when drinking water and is not eating well. I am sorry to hear about what has been happening. Are you observing any diarrhea? How many days has this been happening?

no diarrhea. Shes been laying down all day and wont even look our way.
This all started just today

There are some over-the-counter remedies to treat vomiting. Oftentimes, the lethargy after vomiting is attributed to dehydration, so fluid therapy performed by a veterinarian can be very helpful in her feeling better. Treatment for acute stomach upset is to give a medication to decrease nausea, resolve dehydration, and withhold food for the next 12 hours. When food is introduced again, make sure to do it slowly and with a low fat food option. Low fat foods consist of things like boiled chicken, white rice, and sweet potatoes. You will want to offer small amounts throughout the day.

You will also benefit by checking her hydration status periodically throughout the day. There are two ways to do that. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. The other way to monitor is to perform the "skin tent" test, which is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders until you feel resistance. Let go of the skin and then count how long it takes for it to return to a normal position. A normal time is less than 2 seconds. If she is dehydrated, continues to vomit, or does not eat within 48 hours then she should be seen by a veterinarian for diagnostics.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Do you have any other questions about Roxy? I am still standing by.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian