Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my dog has a UTI. She has light blood in her urine…

Customer Question
Hi. I think my...

Hi. I think my dog has a UTI. She has light blood in her urine and goes much more frequently than usual. Can you recommend a medication I can get from Petmeds.com for this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Sugar is her name. She is a rescue angel i mean dog so approximate age is 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sugar?

Not really. She is otherwise in good health. This started about a week ago. However Sugar is her usual happy playful self.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you.

Sorry for some reason my initial response did not go through. I am sending this again.

I am very sorry that Sugar has blood in her urine.

There are many reasons to have blood in the urine or bleeding from vulva.

We often think of an infection but also crystals or stones in the urinary tract, masses in the vagina, or in the urinary or reproductive tract or clotting disorders are possible causes. If she is an unspayed female endometritis or a pyometra are possible causes as well, though less likely given her feeling fine otherwise.

Are her gums and tongue white, pale pink or bubble gum pink? If they are nice and pink then she likely hasn't lost enough blood to make her anemic and that is a good sign.

Is she bleeding only when he passes urine or does the bleeding ever seem independent of passing urine?

If the bleeding is only when she passes urine then concerns would be a genitourinary tract infection, crystals or stones in her urinary tract, a clotting abnormality or a mass in her urinary or reproductive tract.

If the bleeding is ever independent of her passing urine the concerns would be trauma to his reproductive tract (rough breeding), a mass in her lower reproductive tract, or a clotting abnormality.

She does need to see her veterinarian, both because we need to figure out why she has blood in her urine and increased frequency/urgency to go, and because any effective medication is prescription. A veterinarian must physically examine and animal before writing a prescription.

If she were my patient I'd start with a urinalysis with culture and radiographs of her abdomen to look at her kidneys and bladder for signs of stones and the size and shape of her reproductive tract. We may need an abdominal ultrasound to identify some urinary calculi and masses in her bladder or reproductive tract. If she had pale gums signifying significant blood loss then I would want to check her clotting function too.

If money was very tight then I would start with a physical examination and a urinalysis. If there were signs of infection on the urinalysis then an antibiotic prescription for 10 to 14 days would be reasonable to start.

If I saw lots of crystals or abnormal looking cells on the urinalysis I'd warn the owner that things may be more serious.

And I'd recommend a recheck of her urine at the end of the antibiotic therapy. If there was still blood then radiographs or an ultrasound of her bladder/kidneys is needed.

If this is a reproductive tract infection I highly recommend that she be spayed.

All you can do for her at home is encourage fluid intake to flush out her urinary tract. Add water or low salt beef or chicken broth to her food or feed her canned food to encourage eating and increase her fluid intake.

Give her ice cubes. Offer her fresh water frequently.

And make sure she gets out frequently to urinate.

If she is straining but unable to pass urine, is vomiting, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense, painful abdomen with gentle pressure, or her gums become very pale it is time for emergency veterinary care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****