Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Hes lost over 30 pounds in two months, has labored

Customer Question
Hes lost over 30...

Hes lost over 30 pounds in two months, has labored breathing, can barely walk. hasn't eaten in two days and will only drink water but just a little bit. and he has this puss coming from his eyes and a little through his nose

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Max

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?

He was treated for kidney infection about 6 months back but that's it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm so sorry to hear that Max isn't feeling well. It sounds like his condition is severe and that his quality of life has diminished quite significantly.

Given the symptoms you are describing, I recommend that you have Max seen by his veterinarian right away. It could be that his kidney infection has returned, so that something new his affecting his condition. I recommend starting with bloodwork and a urinalysis to determine the cause. Based on the results of those tests, your veterinarian can recommend treatment options or if humane euthanasia would be an option for Max.

I agree with you however, I can not afford to do that since the last time we had him tested it cost over 1100 dollars but right now his quality of life is horrible and he just looks sick and almost like hes suffering. I made an appointment to do the euthanasia tomorrow. i just need to know if this that a bad decision or would it be worth it to try and see whats wrong? for the past 3 days I thought he was dying just because of how he was breathing.

Thank you for that additional information. Given the symptoms that you are describing for Max, I think it is entirely appropriate, though heart-breaking, to consider euthanasia for him. If he is having labored breathing and struggling, it is a greater kindness to end his suffering than to prolong his discomfort with testing.

My sincere condolences.