Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog hasn’t eaten for about five days he throws up and…

Customer Question
My dog hasn’t eaten...

My dog hasn’t eaten for about five days he throws up and it’s just black puke every time and it stinks like rotten he is very weak and you’ve got a very skinny and you won’t keep nothing down I’m not sure if he ate something or why what happened but maybe you have some ideas

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Joey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Joey?

Hes got a snotty nose Probably from being dehydrated but I’ve tried to get him to eat a try to put Pedialyte down and then he was holding the Pedialyte down for a little while for a few days without puking but now it’s back to puking again and it’s black every time

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

Not a problem
Typing is fine

Feel free to disregard the phone call request this is sent by the website automatically, not me. I will be able to answer your question on this chat.

I'm so sorry to hear that Joey isn't feeling well.

How old is he? What is his breed?

Hes Seven years old and he’s German shepherd chocolate lab mix chow mix

Ok. Given that his vomit is black in color and has become significantly progressive, I'm concerned that he may have bleeding in his GI tract. I recommend that he be seen by his veterinarian today to be evaluated. Bloodwork and likely xrays will be recommended to determine the cause of his intense GI upset and declining condition.

U there

Yes, I'm here. Were you able to see my response. I'll copy it again below:

Hi, it's Dr. Denise checking in on Joey. How is he doing?

Were you able to have him seen by a veterinarian?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian